Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Egypt Travel - The 4th day (5/1) Abu Simbel to Aswan

Japanese Korean

Schedule

○Flight
  01MAY 07:00 Cairo  →  08:25 Aswan      EgyptAir MS391
  01MAY 09:55 Aswan  →  10:40 Abu Simbel EgyptAir MS411

○Abu Simbel Sightseeing

○Flight
  01MAY 13:00 Abu Simbel  →  13:45 Aswan EgyptAir MS412

○Aswan Sightseeing

○Hotel
  PHILAE HOTEL

My plan was that I left Cairo this day and I went to Abu Simbel by airplane, after seeing Abu Simbel, I went to Aswan.

This Abu Simbel temple and temple of Isis which I went to next day, were originally placed elsewhere near the Nile. but when they built Aswan High Dam, Egyptian people moved these ruins to another places.
The three ruins which had been moved for Aswan High Dam construction, included of these two, comprise the World Heritage Site of "Nubian Monuments from Abu Simbel to Philae".
This migration seemed to have trigger off the World Heritage Convention in 1972

Departure

Yesterday taxi driver said "if your flight is 7 o'clock, you have to leave here 5:00 morning. it's too early morning so I will take you the airport at 200 Egyptian pounds. and more 50 for baksheesh.".
"it's too expensive." I said. but he also said "it's too early morning. moreover you enjoyed whole travel, didn't you?" and so on. . .

At the hotel I found bell boy who introduced me the taxi driver yesterday.

(I) It was very good to go around Giza or Saqqara yesterday. the taxi driver was also good. thank you for introducing me a good driver. but that driver said that it was 250 Egyptian Pounds from this to the airport.  I think something strange.
(Bell boy) It's too expensive. Usually 120 or 150 to the airport. it's too early now so I can call for taxi for 150 Pounds.
(I) Thank you. so please.

Yesterday, the taxi driver drove the stranger away at the Pyramids, and bought me the dinner. so I had trusted him. . . .
Speaking of 150 Pounds, it was the same cost that the barker at the Cairo airport claimed me when I arrived at the Egypt. *refer to the 2nd day.

I didn't know who I can trust.

But 150 Pounds was about 2000 JPY. let's not think like that.

I had been to all the ruins. I had stayed special room.
I had paid the right costs.

I had enjoyed the Pyramids very much!


Cairo Airport

I had to use three airplanes which are Cairo->Aswan, Aswan->Abu Simbel, and Abu Simbel->Aswan. so I had been hoping to start on time. . .
it seemed that the flights in Egypt were always delayed. so almost flights in this day were wonderfully 'delayed'.


I asked the ground staff to keep my baggage at Aswan airport. and I boarded the plane an hour behind.


Aswan Airport

I arrived at Aswan at 9:20.
The departure time of the next flight was 9:30. though I had expected that the next plane was delayed, I desperately run to the gate.


It was 'Delayed' as expected.

Moreover it was not written the expected departure time.
"14:30 Cairo Delayed" was written at the board though my flight was 9:30.

I talked with Japanese family waiting same flight. they speak their horrible experience of Cairo.

Suddenly the bus came over the gate before 12:00. and everyone rode on it. the board message was still "14:30 Cairo Delayed". no announce around there. I also rode on it.

Somehow I could ride on the airplane to Abu Simbel.

Abu Simbel

I reserved left side window seat to see Abu Simbel Temples during landing.


The plane was shaking. I took only this picture.

I arrived at Abu Simbel 1 pm when it was the departure time of return flight. grand staff told me to return till 2:30. I walked around with people who I talked with at Aswan airport.

Truly speaking, almost all people who come by this airplane went back Aswan to that day.

There were two temples at the same site, The Great Temple and The Small Temple.


The Great Temple.
The four statues were all Ramesses II.
I went into it. I saw many pictures and statues being lit up.


This was The Small Temple.
The four bodies of six were Ramesses II, and the two were his wife Nefertari.


It was allowed to take photos in the small temple.

Abu Simbel Airport

After I saw these temples, I returned back the airport.
There were no bulletin board for guidance.
I took flight ticket at check-in counter, but. . .


It was handwritten ticket. it was the first time to take such a ticket.

At the Aswan airport, I took my luggage. I went to the Aswan town by taxi with the Japanese family. but taxi fee was 100 Egyptian Pounds though it was written in my guide book that the validate price was 60-70 Egyptian Pounds.
It was a little expensive than the guide book everywhere.

They paid 60 EP of validate price and I paid 40 EP.

Philae Hotel

It was my hotel.


I chose not a guest house but a good hotel because the price was cheap in this area. but 60$ per night.

Reception: Suite room is available. if you like you may use it. of course it is no need to pay additional cost.
I: Thank you. I use it.

I didn't see any other traveler this day. I saw only a couple of French when I ate breakfast next morning. I thought there were very few hotel guests.


It was very nice room.

I went around downtown.

Souk (Market)

Night market was a very lively.


A lot of people called out to me. "Nihao!" almost all the people had regarded me as the Chinese. when I replied "I'm Japanese", they speak to me very much. they seemed to hate Chinese but like Japanese.

When I was walking Main Souk, a child with many bookmarks made by papyrus spoke to me.
I only replied "I don't need" but he came after me. many local people approached me. someone hold my hand, others embraced me saying "Japane--se!".

I might have been tired. so I was careless. then I found the chuck of my porch was open.


* I took this picture coming back at hotel under the same conditions.

I found to grow pale. I did not notice at all that the chuck was open.
I had put the purse and passport at the far end of this porch. so they could not eject them. After that, I was always locked and grabbed by hand.

Everyone had been walking by grabbing their bag.
That was a close call!


McDonald's

I was hungry.
As there was a pickpocket attempt, I feared local restaurant. so I entered McDonald's.


I ate "McArabia Kofta" which was not in Japan.


At souk

I wanted to buy something to drink before return to the hotel. then someone said to me "do you want beer?"
It was difficult to buy beer because Egyptian don't drink beer. and I did the price negotiation of it.
It was very fun to negotiate with the four color ballpoint pen.
I bought it 25 Egyptian Pounds though at first it was 30 Egyptian Pounds. I agreed because I bought it 32 Egyptian Pounds at Aswan airport.


* But I bought this beer for 7 Egyptian pounds at another town. good grief.

I returned hotel, drunk it, so went to bed.


The view from my room.

Next: Egypt Travel - The 5th day (5/2) Aswan to Luxor

See from beginning

No comments:

Post a Comment