Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Egypt Travel - The 6th day (5/3) Luxor one day tour

Japanese Korean

Schedule

○Luxor west coast Sightseeing (bicycle rental)
  ・Colossi of Memnon
  ・Vally of the Kings
  ・Carter House
  ・Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut
  ・Ramses funerary temple
  ・Valley of the queens
  ・Ramses III funerary temple

○To Cairo by sleeper train

I went sightseeing the ruins of the west coast across the Nile this day. I used bicycle rental because it is famous activity.
I went back to Cairo by sleeper train through night.

Nile west coast - the place the sun goes down - was also the place where afterlife was. in its deep valley, there is the Valley of the Kings where there are a dozens of the king's tombs.
Of course I watched the Tomb of Tutankhamun there. and also watched Carter's House where Howard Carter - the discoverer of the tomb of Tutankhamun at 1922 - had lived at that time.

I rented a bicycle at the guest house, but it was a bad mistake. as it was worn-out bicycle, it made "squeak squeak" sounds. I was very tired in the hard way. I should have chartered a taxi.


Breakfast

This day's breakfast.


A piece of bread before adventure, isn't it?

So borrow a bicycle rental and  starts for adventure.


Luxor Station

At first, I went to the Luxor station. I wanted to buy the ticket of sleepers train to Cairo this night.

I: Sleepers train ticket tonight, only one person, please.
A man at the ticket counter: Today is full!
I: It is full, isn't it?
The man: Yes, I'm busy now.
I: What time the sleepers train will start?
The man: Seven.
I: Seven o'clock, isn't it?
The man: Eight.
I: Eight o'clock really?
The man: Nine. Hey, next one. come on. . .

I couldn't believe it.

I had already checked beforehand that the sleepers train would start 9:30 pm and it is more cheaper to pay in this train without ticket. but I thought I bought a ticket. . . . no choice. I would come back at night.

Ferry

I rode ferry for the west coast of Nile river.


Nile is the longest river of the world in 6500km length, but width of the river is about 500m.
Soon arrived at opposite side.


I run to the ruins by "squeak squeak" bicycle.
On the way, chains of the bicycle was out many times. plate cover the chain was also off many times. it was awful disappointing bicycle.


Squeak squeak. . . . I saw the mountain behind.


There were artificial holes. I would like to go soon.

After I saw Colossi of Memnon which was located at the entrance of whole ruins, I bought some tickets at the ticket office. then I went to the Valley of the Kings. squeak squeak. . .

On the way, a few taxi driver called out to me.

"Your bicycle is no good. ride bike!"
"Hey, I will take you the top of this mountain. put your bicycle on the roof of this car."
"Valley of the Kings is 15km far from here. you will regret unless you use taxi."
etc. . .

I was worried which cost they might demand in this situation. or maybe pride. "I like cycling so I don't need your taxi." my explanation is a bit difficult to understand, isn't it? squeak squeak. . .

3 Japanese groups passed me. only Japanese might use bicycle rental.


One of them took my picture.

Valley of the Kings

Arrived at Valley of the Kings.


Valley of the Kings is in the behind mountain.
Usually we have to put all cameras on the shelves of the entrance office because of No Picture zone in this area. but the guards said "You may take your camera. but give me baksheesh." to me. so I handed each 5 Egypt Pound to the two men.
.※Then I cannot comment about the photo.

There were more than 60 kings tombs and tour of the three tombs were included in the admission fee. and the guard recommend No. 14 (Queen Twosret), No. 11 (Ramses III), and No. 2 (Ramses IV), so I followed this proposal.
And I bought another 2 tickets of No 9. (Ramses VI) and No. 62 (Tutankhamun).

All tombs were great.
In every tombs, the passage was straight and down slope. there were small rooms on the side where there was colorful relief around the wall. stone coffin was placed in the room at the end of the passage.

I also went into the tomb of Tutankhamun which Howard Carter discovered at 1922. there were coffin and mummy of Tutankhamun. only mummy wrapped in white sheets with no mask in glass case. I also watch the room which a full of treasures had been settled.
There was no one but a guard inside it. I had a good look around.

Besides, the guards of No. 9 (Ramesses VI) and No. 2 (Ramesses IV) were sleeping at the time. bless you!

After watch the Valley of the Kings, I went to the House of Howard Carter who discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun.


Return way is a downhill.

Carter House

In the Carter House, the study, bedroom, the developing chamber and so on which Howard Carter used remained as it was. X-ray photo of Tutankhamn was also on the wall.

I took a photo at his study.


And I looked around the ruins with "squeak squeak" bicycle.

Other ruins of Luxor west coast

○Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut


○Ramses funerary temple(Ramuseumu)


○Valley of the queens


We could take picture outside at the Valley of the queen though it was no picuture zone only in the ruins. the Valley of the kings was similar atmosphere.

○Ramses III funerary temple(medinet habu)


When i saw these ruins, it was 5 o'clock.
I returned to the east coast by ferry. went back guest house.


Dinner

After I took backpack at the guest house, I ate dinner.
I went into the local hamburger shop.


Too large cheese burger. I couldn't eat all of this.


Sleeper train

After ate the dinner, I went to the ticket office of Luxor station and asked ticket of sleeper train to Cairo.
Then she told me that only one seat was available. so I could buy the ticket.

The departure time of the train was 22:15. I was too tired so I waited at the bench of the station during 2 hours.


The train come on time.


The train surely seemed to be fully booked. I saw the four Japanese people at the platform of the station, but they rode on another local train.

I drank beer which I bought at the shop of the side of Luxor station for 7 Egyptian Pound, then I slept.

Next: Egypt Travel - The 7th day (5/4) Cairo sightseeing

See from beginning

No comments:

Post a Comment