Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Egypt Travel - The 5th day (5/2) Aswan to Luxor

▶ Next
Back ◀
Japanese Korean

Schedule

○Aswan Sightseeing
  ・Temple of Isis
  ・Unfinished Obelisk

○Move to Luxor

○Luxor east coast Sightseeing
  ・Luxor Musium
  ・Luxor Temple
  ・Karnak Temple

○Hotel
  Little Garden Hotel

I watched around the Aswan in the morning, after that I went to Luxor. and looked at ruins of east side of Nile.
Luxor is the place where there was a capital of Thebes in the New Kingdom of Egypt between the 15th century BC and the 11th century BC. so there are many ruins in Luxor.
At the east coast of Nile, there are temples as a symbol for life because of the direction of the rising sun. on the opposite side , there are tombs as a symbol for dead because of the sinking of the sun.
These ruins around Thebes has been a World Heritage Site of "Ancient Thebes with its Necropolis". it is this Era that that Ramses II in Abu Simbel temple and Tutankhamun was alive.

Breakfast

Good breakfast at the Hotel.


Hot bread from the oven. warm boiled egg.
This breakfast was the best.

After eating breakfast, I checked out and ask to keep the baggage, and went to the station to search the taxi.


Unlike the night, I could walk safely.


I caught a taxi at Aswan station.
I negotiated with a taxi driver at 100 Egyptian pounds to go to Temple of Isis and Unfinished Obelisk. it was more expensive than guidebook.


Temple of Isis Ferry

The place I came first was Temple of Isis.
Though admission was the price written in guidebook, I had to negotiate again at the ferry landing place.


I also negotiated using bollpoint pen.

(Man) It is 100 Egyptian pounds for 1 hour trip.
(I) Official price is 50 Egyptian pounds, isn't it? you should take for 50 Egyptian pounds.
(Man) No, 100!
(I) Hey, this pen is made in Japan. so 50 EP?

He seemed to want it.

(Man) 80!
(I) I have another one. so 70.
(Man) Good.

4 color ballpoint pen that I bought three for 100 yen.
It was effective for the negotiation although his final offer was also expensive.

Temple of Isis

Temple of Isis was built between the 15th century BC (New Kingdom Era) and the 6th century AD (Roman Kingdom Era). it was a shrine that was dedicated to goddess Isis of Egypt mythology.


Large building and beautiful relief.


Unfinished Obelisk

Next, I went to Unfinished Obelisk. it was in the New Kingdom Era through the 15 century BC - the 10 century BC. it seems to have been discarded for the cracked.


Obelisk is a monument built in front of a temple. I have seen also obelisk of the finished form in the temple of Luxor after this.

My taxi driver.


I had now seen the two places which I wanted to see in Luxor.
He repeatedly suggested to go to other place such as Aswan High Dam. but I ask him to go to bus station.

Bus Station



The 100 Egyptian pound taxi fare is the price to charter a taxi full day in Aswan according to the guide book. but I paid 100 EP for half a day.
Taxi driver arranged my bus trip. he searched the bus for Luxor and told to bus driver to get off at Luxor.
I gave him a four color ballpoint pen instead of the tip.

My bus departed to Luxor.


Badly Hot in the bus.
There was no air conditioning. it was dense and steamed. the inside of this car seemed possibly 40 degrees or so. sweat flowing lazily. . .

But it was comfortable cool breeze came in while running.


The bus drove the banks of the Nile.


The bus drove in the desert at a breakneck speed.


The bus rattled by on the road under construction.


I spent talking with them and taking pictures while in the bus.


The bus also run along the river, passed through the town.

It took three hours to arrive at Luxor.


Luxor station

It was far from Luxor bus station to Luxor train station. but I  walked to the train station.



It was halcyon atmosphere.
I had chosen Little Garden Hotel which had a good reputation by the review in the net though it was a little far from the station.


It was such a familiar room as I usually stay during travel.

It was past 3 pm when I arrived at the hotel. but I intended to see the ruins of east coast such as Luxor Musium, Luxor Temple, and Karnak Temple. so I talked to the reception whether I went to see them in this day.
He told me that all three spots were open until 5 pm, but Karnak Temple held at the night show (sound & light show), so it was better to see Luxor Musium and Luxor Temple until 5 pm and go to Karnak Temple at night. I decided to do so.

Luxor Musium

I prepared for going out in hurry and went to the Luxor Musium by taxi.


There were many stone statues and mummies in this museum. most of them were made at the New Kingdom Era when Thebes (now Luxor) was the capital.

Only I was in this museum at that time. nobody except a guard could be seen. he said to me "You can take picture, but keep secret. . ."
Most places of Luxor were no picture sites. but it seemed that the rules were loose.
So I couldn't upload them. I'm sorry.

At last He said to me "Give me baksheesh, it is welcome to small money.". I gave him 10 EP with handshake.

Luxor Temple

It was past 4:30 when I left the museum. I heard that Luxor Temple was closed at 5 pm. but I could enter it. moreover many tourists appeared after my entering. I was able to see up to 6 o'clock after all.
It seemed that the museum was closed at just 5 o'clock. so it was correct that I went to this order.


First picture is 25m height obelisk. it was ramses the great who built it. he was the king of Egypt between 1304 and 1237 BC and also built Abu Simbel Temple.
Second picture is both of ramses the great.
Third to fifth are in the Temple. especially the 5th is Tutankhamun and a queen.
Sixth is the approach to the temple.

I took movie.


Dinner

I came back to the hotel after I saw the museum and temple.
On the way I ate dinner.



Kofta + rice which is Egyptian cuisine. the price was 30 Egyptian pounds (about 400 yen or so)

Karnak Temple Sound & Light show

It became Night show time.
I asked a taxi at the hotel reception for 40 EP (one way at 20 EP). it seemed that if we ask at the hotel, the taxi driver usually waits for free during the show.

Well, I had arrived.
I selected the show of English language.

A guard: Today is French.
I: I can't understand french. :-(
A guard: No problem. You can use translator.

So, I borrowed translator.


Moreover Japanese language. :-)

At the show, we were walking in the temple. we stopped at the checkpoints and heard the explanation through the translator.

Light up Obelisk, Relief, Stone columns. they were very beautiful.
Moreover this day was full moon. very mysterious atmosphere.

At last checkpoint, I saw a video on the screen of the stone wall.
Full star-filled night sky. and I also saw shooting star!


After the show, I walked for the exit taking the movie.


Next: Egypt Travel - The 6th day (5/3) Luxor one day tour

See from beginning

No comments:

Post a Comment